Sunday, September 04, 2005

In my defence..........

.......It happens the world over- southerners speak differently! In the one year that I have been in the Great Indian Melting Pot, Mumbai, I have endured excruciating analyses of my accent when I speak Hindi by well-meaning friends, casually curious strangers and certain chauvnistic compatriots. There have been several theories about the accent that mine resembles the most- the venerated Sonia accent, the distinct Rajni accent( this would be my personal favourite if I had to vote) or the angrezi accent of Lagaan fame.....and the list , to my exasperation, is growing! I have tried real hard to speak Hindi 'normally'- but the accent just keeps coming back ! That set me thinking- maybe this is all due to some really powerful linguistic influence that south Indian languages have on their speakers. But then I remembered the classes I had while learning French where we were taught how the Southern accent is different from the popular Parisian accent. It was then that I realised- this is a global phenomenon- it happens everywhere- the US where SAE( Southern American English) is studied as a seperate dialect by linguists, it happens in Britain, Spain, Japan....! I say we ought to accept the South Indian accent just as a distinct southern accent has been accepted in all these other countries and let it stay that way- it has its own charm! (it really does!... and to those who do not buy that-you need perspective, meri aankhon se dekho zara!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

teri aakhon se maine dekha!!!!! but don't worry buddy its not that bad, u r actually doing well. tres bien.

skohari said...

that is true, "I say"!

Anonymous said...

_____
| __|__
| _____|
| _____|
| _____|
|_______|

---> Punch for not informing me about the blog... (you might have let me know thru a comment atleast)

NE way- APPLAUSE for the excellent post on the accent.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO!

-me

Unknown said...

Ive tagged you, by the way :)

Anonymous said...

+1.
I say the same about overall Indian accent, folks should accept it. I just don't understand what is great about italian/french speaking english vs us. We do tend to get better verbs and nouns together to form the sentences. My bet is it is all the pigment in the skin.

GhanaShyam said...

Atleast you try something. There are a lot of people who doesn't even try to speak hindi

divyashri said...

I totally agree..u r simply adding some flavor to the pronunciation of the Hindi Language..:)

Padma said...

Thanks Mamta and Schazeb!
Anonymous- sorry for not informing you- how did you get to know about my blog,btw?...and thanks for your wishes!
Hey, estel, I'm waiting for your next post!

And yes, Govind, Ghana and pitchblack- accents should probably be accepted as long as they do not make comprehension too difficult and as long as certain words do not start sounding like certain other words!!